Friday, September 21, 2007

Watch out for falling objects

This is our water stand, Normally there is a 1000 liter holding tank on top. The black barrel is our hot water heater. We pump our water from ground level up to the holding tank on top. From there it's piped into our house.
You might be wondering where our holding tank is in these pictures.

A couple weeks ago I was extremely startled by a loud crash. I didn't know what it was but it got my heart racing. I was inside and ran out with Eli, around the corner and saw that the holding tank had crashed to the ground. I didn't know where Aidan was at the moment so I started frantically calling for him. Thank God he was on the front porch out of harms way. No one got hurt. Within minutes our yard was filled with people who had heard the crash. You are able to see the damage to our laundry shed and yard. I'm so glad it didn't come down on the roof.


At the time of the fall the tank was nearly full so there was probably 700 liters of water in it. Here it is in two pieces. There's a big rip in the plastic and the metal cage landed a distance away from it.



Here's the cage. Normally the tank is elevated on top of the water tower so that it's above the hot water heater. When we moved in Pete made a new stand but apparently it wasn't strong enough for the weight of the water and it broke. The following day after the tank fell a couple guys made a new sturdier stand out of 4x4's. I haven't downloaded my pictures of the new stand yet. We're so thankful that no one was hurt.







2 comments:

Norm said...

YIKES! I don't know whether to laugh or cry!!

Norm said...

hey, what year did you guys graduate from NTMC? just curious