Sunday, July 22, 2007

Garden Planting

These are planted around our house. This is a double something or other right now I can't remember the name. Maybe you recognize it?
My marigold plants that I started from seed. Marigolds aren't my favorite plants but as my mom says, "they're hardy", they are also supposed to be anti mosquito plants. They're doing well and I have enough to fill up 2 flower beds.


It's a bit hard to see but these are some, Cosmos, flowers that I started from seed.



Pete is planting some sweet corn that he got from my dad. We have high hopes that it will turn out! The fresh corn that they grow and sell here is tough and more like field corn.


The vegetables we are trying to grow are: lettuce, spinach, green beans, peas, carrots, squash, corn and soybeans. We also have some volunteer tomato plants that we are trying as well.
Here's our garden plot. We are trying some raised beds. Behind Pete you can see some mounded hills. That is typical African planting style. Another African lady is using the rest of this garden. So we'll see who's stuff does the best!






1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Faith, I think that flower is a tropical hibicus. I had a plant like that inside in kennewick, WA. What is your typical growing season there? Are you planting during the rainy season?
Love to all, Aunt Sue